Arizona State University
School of International Letters and Cultures
The School of International Letters and Cultures (SILC) invites applications for a full-time tenure-track assistant professor appointment in Environmental Humanities, with a background in German, Italian, or French Studies, beginning in August 2019. We especially encourage applicants with research and teaching interests in comparative European approaches to Environmental Humanities, including such areas as comparative eco-criticism; critical plant/animal studies; the Anthropocene; the nonhuman in the humanities; and energy humanities. The ideal candidate will be a dynamic, creative teacher-scholar committed to high-quality undergraduate and graduate education and student-faculty research. The successful candidate should have a strong interest in helping to forge links between SILC and the School of Sustainability, and in collaborating with scholars from other disciplines whose research lies within the overarching areas of the Environmental Humanities. Arizona State University is the nation’s leading major public university committed to inclusion and excellence in research and education.
- Ph.D. in German, Italian, or French, or related comparative field at the time of hire
- Native or near-native proficiency in German, Italian, or French, and English
- Evidence of excellence in college-level teaching
- Research focus in the Environmental Humanities
- Experience teaching college-level courses in language, literature, and cultural studies
- Evidence of ability to teach in the target language and in English
- Demonstrated effectiveness in teaching college-level online courses
- A record of published research in the interdisciplinary fields of Environmental Humanities
- Demonstrated success meeting the needs of diverse student populations and/or collaborating with diverse communities beyond the university
Position duties include:
- Maintaining an active research agenda in the interdisciplinary fields of the Environmental Humanities
- Teaching undergraduate and graduate courses in comparative European approaches to Environmental Humanities in English and the target language
- Mentoring graduate students and honors students
- Participating in service to the university and profession as appropriate to rank
To apply, submit electronically to https://academicjobsonline.org/ajo/jobs/12493 the following materials:
- A current curriculum vitae
- A letter addressed to Dr. Daniel Gilfillan, Search Committee Chair, outlining research agenda, potential intellectual contributions to SILC, and how the applicant’s experiences fit the qualifications listed above
- Two recent sets of student evaluations
- The names, positions, and contact information (including email addresses and telephone numbers) of three references, who may be contacted by academicjobsonline at a later stage in the search
The initial application deadline is December 4, 2018; if not filled, review will continue every two weeks thereafter until the search is closed. A background check is required for employment.
Arizona State University is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor and an Equal Opportunity/ Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by law.